Saturday, March 20, 2010

Random Thoughts (part 1)

These are things that are on my mind, that I just want to get out, not to anyone in particular, but just need to put in writing. This is a divergence from what I would normally blog on. This is part one, and there may or may not be a part 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...

I have been pondering this for quite some time now. I have, in the past 6 months, or so, seen this movie, that kind of hinted at the same idea that has been in my mind. This idea first came to mind around the turn of the millennium (ca. 2000), way before the movie was produced. If anyone has seen Idiocracy kind of knows where I am going with this. The evolution of humans becoming more stupid...or the de-evolution of man. But this goes deeper than that.

Evolutionarily speaking, humans, and other organisms, has the natural tendency to pro-create. Looking at my colleagues, and other people that surrounds me, this tendency has been put on the back burner. They have things that are, in there mind, "more important" to accomplish. They have there career and other points of accomplishments top obtain. On top of that, there are others colleagues of mine that do not want to pro-create.

I am not rejecting this idea, to each there own. The only thing is that I don't know of what to take of this. I, personally, want to have a child...and I have been thinking of this more often lately. What, I'm 32 now. So, I'll be 50 or older than that by the time my offspring will get out the house. I don't want to be retirement age when they leave. I not saying that choosing a career first is selfish, but I not sating wanting say having kids is selfish either.

Once people already have there career established, they are closer to my age. There are many things that comes with older age (infertility, genetic problems of the child, etc.), but I am not saying that I want to have a child with any random femail. The time has to be right for me and my significant other to have a child. Looking at the population that are having offspring, for the most part, they are poorer an uneducated. This is where I see a parallel with Idiocracy. "The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections."

Right now, I am currently working on my Masters degree and will start my PhD in the fall. I can see myself being a stay at home dad...I can see that easily happening. It is a natural tendency of ALL organism to pro-create, and I get jealous when I hear of my friends and about that they have a family, that is all that I am saying....

2 comments:

Alicia Hamilton Jakomait said...

Thanks for the post--Solidarity for the evolved!

Jason said...

Thanks for the comment Alicia! I don't see that solidarity is more evolved, it is going against that what is wanted by the species. Evolutionary speaking, solidarity should die off, just like any other altruistic behaviour, will be chosen against and be deleted from the gene pool.